Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation. The Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is a discipline that drives strategic execution and maximizes business value through the optimization and oversight of program/project investments which align to Line of Business (LOB) goals and strategies. The IT Portfolio Manager is responsible to lead and deliver key strategic initiatives within the various branches at Air Canada, such as Commercial, Customer Service, Operations, Corporate, IT, etc. The incumbent will coordinate between multiple projects under a portfolio to ensure they are benefiting each other, while also aligning with overall business goals. The IT Portfolio Manager will work closely with the IT functional leads and Resource Managers to plan for the right mix of programs/projects and timing with the goal of levelling resources to optimize the IT organization’s delivery capability and capacity. Portfolio Management also contributes to overall IT and individual portfolio financial management, to optimize spend on committed programs/projects delivery, and adjust forward for changes in priorities. This role will report to the Senior Manager, Portfolio Management. Responsibilities:
- Contribute to evolution, improvement and control of portfolio management practice governance, process and methodology.
- Work with Business Partnership leaders and IT Executive to set priorities in alignment with the overall IT Portfolio Objectives.
- Accountable for pipeline management involving steps to ensure that an adequate number of program/project proposals are evaluated to determine whether (and how) a set of program/projects in the portfolio can be executed with finite resources in a specified time.
- Accountable for Integration Management; coordination of all elements of a Portfolio including deliverables, resources, stakeholders, and any other portfolio elements.
- Responsible for delivery of projects and programs through the defined Project Gating Lifecyle; provide feedback for continuous improvement and relevancy of the Gating Lifecyle
- Manage conflicts between different aspects of the Portfolio, making trade-offs between competing requests and evaluating resources.
- Accountable for Portfolio Change Management using OCM approach and set of tools to manage the cumulative and collective impact of a change across the Portfolio.
- Foster big picture thinking by linking each program/project milestone back to the broader goals of the individual portfolio and the technology branch.
- Determine how each program/project will impact LOB (Line of Business) and IT strategy through Portfolio Risk Management
- Accountable for development and management of Portfolio Reporting to provide progress update.
- Engage with and conduct monthly (or at other intervals as specified) reviews with senior Business, IT, executives, and other key stakeholders to validate and assess the project portfolio, execute change, and reprioritize to meet business needs as required.
- Accountable for identification of early dependencies across the projects and programs in the portfolio, to be accounted for within roadmap planning.
- Provide input and collaborate in the development of annual departmental plan and operational budget plan
- Monitor individual portfolio budget performance; raise risks of over/under spending within individual projects/programs and the portfolio. Contribute to regular updates to financial outlook and reporting on budget/outlook performance.
- Collaborate with Product COE and Business Partnership team on evolution of intake, product management and PI planning processes and their impacts on portfolio management.
- Oversee project portfolio management, proactively managing risks, issues, and changes
- Oversee and report demand management across business units to the management
- Bachelor of Science, Arts or Commerce degree
- 13-15 years of IT technology, operations, people leadership and strategy experience in a large company. Minimum 10+ years of experience in Portfolio or program Management
- PMP Certification (preferred)
- Prior experience with integration initiatives in large-scale portfolio or program management
- Change Management Certification (preferred)
- Ability to influence change across multiple business units and manage large program portfolios across locations and geographies.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, with demonstrated executive presence.
- Highly motivated with a demonstrated ability to multi-task, and work autonomously with minimal oversight
- Proven execution and delivery skills, with the ability to act quickly and proactively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate with senior stakeholders and synthesize key points by analyzing complex information through reporting, dashboards and engaging presentations.
- Strong strategic planning, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical, organizational and communication skills with a keen key for detail
- High proficiency in MS Office 365 Applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates. Diversity and Inclusion: Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.