Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation. INTRODUCTION Ops Modernization is a collaborative effort between Air Canada’s Business and IT teams who are committed to finding modern solutions, tools and technologies that will better support their operational needs and enable their employees to deliver an elevated customer service. It is a program focused on people, processes, and technology in the areas of Airports, Crew, Operations Control, In-Flight Services and Flight Operations. The intended benefits are primarily on employee facing applications and processes but will translate into customer benefits via a more digitized and efficient operation. The future state will enable collaborative, real-time, data driven decisions in a truly mobilized workforce. The Ops Modernization program will lead Air Canada’s operations into a new era of technologically advanced tools and processes. DESCRIPTION The IT Project Manager is responsible for driving and delivering IT projects encompassing all phases of the project lifecycle. The job of a Project Manager requires in-depth knowledge and extensive experience overseeing the inception, planning, implementation, and analysis of complex projects. He/She will have the ability to easily identify and articulate vulnerabilities and obstacles, and then work with Stakeholders to create innovative solutions to Project problems. He/She ensures project deliverables meet stakeholder’s requirements in terms of timeline, scope, and budget in accordance with Air Canada’s project management methodologies and frameworks. This includes the maintenance of standards for business processes to mitigate risks associated with ongoing business transformations. KEY FUNCTIONS
- Lead and manage technology projects from inception to final implementation.
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects related to project management to ensure adherence to project scope.
- Engage executive sponsor to ensure active participation on project initiatives.
- Engage appropriate stakeholders to identify and manage required outcomes of projects for the business.
- Support the definition of business and technical requirements by ensuring the integration of technical documentation so that all project business documents, artifacts and deliverables are signed off and meet business needs.
- Compile master project roadmap including workstreams, key activities, milestones, due dates, and utilize project management applications to build out project timelines, track tasks assignment and monitor project progress.
- Provide on-going communication to key stakeholders, including the Project Sponsor, Business Project Owner, Program Manager and Portfolio Manager to ensure they are aware of significant changes to the project status in a timely manner.
- Communicate regularly with project staff to outline the work breakdown, assign duties and tasks and coordinate all project related activities.
- Work with finance to ensure the tracking of expected benefits against business case assumptions, as well as the evolution of the project costs baseline.
- Ensure the identification of and update to project performance measures, indicators, benchmarks and guidelines to secure that project resources are used appropriately and in conformity with quality assurance standards pertaining to Air Canada’s project rules and methods.
- Communicate regularly with fellow project managers involved in other initiatives to foster an environment of mutual awareness and alignment on converging project timelines, interdependencies, and common challenges and best practices.
- Assess and escalate risk related project to the proper management level when needed.
- Follow and Champion all project governance methodologies and associated practices, including risks, dependencies and decision logs.
- Provide advice and guidance to business partners and project team as required regarding best practices in project management.
- Support vendor management and strategic sourcing process, managing RFP activities and partnering with vendor(s) to ensure efficient and effective project delivery.
- Take a leadership role in mentoring other project team members to socialize project management best practices.
- Conduct project retrospectives to harness lessons learned.
- A relevant university degree / technical certification (and/or relevant experience)
- Minimum of 8+ years’ experience managing complex projects
- Certification in Project Management by a recognized project management organization required.
- Experience in Agile and Scrum methodologies highly preferred
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, communicate succinctly and efficiently, build consensus and handle complex projects in similar environment.
- Strong relationship management skills
- Ability to simultaneously manage strategic and tactical plans while navigating an evolving business environment.
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the country of interest, at the time any offer of employment is made and seeking any required work permits/visas or other authorizations which may be required is the sole responsibility of the candidates applying for this position.
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates. Diversity and Inclusion Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.