software developer job description
In general, you work at a computer for most of the day creating software code for a variety of practical uses. You could work on a number of projects, which might include creating software systems, designing mobile apps, creating a project from the ground up, working on bettering an existing project, modifying an existing product, testing software and debugging programs. Maintenance of all projects may also be required depending upon the position you hold in your particular organization.
As a Software Developer, you may:
- design software and simulations
- write, modify and debug software
- test and document software
- write code to create applications
- participate in software release and post-release activities
Opportunities for experienced Software Developers are plentiful and show no sign of slowing down, given the increasing focus on computers and mobile devices in both private and public sector organizations. By increasing their competencies and credentials, Software Developers can enjoy promotion to more high-level senior roles as Software Engineers, Architects, Managers and Developers. This is generally a higher-paying career in IT, particularly for those specialists with the credentials to work on proprietary software. The median salary range for Software Developer jobs hovers close to $90,000 annually.
As a Software Developer, you need a combination of technical know-how and creativity, along with:
- good knowledge of software and programming languages.
- logic, problem solving and analytic capabilities
- the ability to learn quickly.
- the ability to interpret and follow technical plans.
- a creative approach to problem-solving.
- an understanding of development processes like 'Agile'
- excellent communication and people skills
- ability to work on a team
A degree in software engineering, computer science, IT or another similar areas is usually required, along with relevant work experience. Experience is essential to career growth and development. Some employers might require that you gain extra credentials and skills.
If you’re a Software Developer, click below to find the right position for you.