accounts payable clerk job description
In your role as an Accounts Payable Clerk, you may:
- receive and verify invoices
- enter invoices for payment
- manage cheque runs, maintaining records
- maintain lists of payables as well as a general ledger
- create and distribute monthly financial reports
- perform payroll services
- maintain inventory files
- maintain filing systems
- perform additional clerical or other related duties as required
Accounts Payable Clerks who process outstanding bills and provide other clerical support for their company are in demand throughout Canada, especially if they have superior skills and a high level of accuracy.
Opportunities for Accountants arise internally due to retirements and promotions. With experience, you can progress into roles like Controller, Financial and Corporate Controller, Accounting and Finance Manager and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Vice President, Finance roles.
A successful Accounts Payable Clerk needs:
- analytic skills
- strong math skills
- general knowledge of accounting principles
- attention to detail with high degree of accuracy
- problem solving and decision making skills
- strong organizational skills
- ethical standards and professionalism
- computer and technology skills
- good people skills
- good communication skills
To succeed as an Accounts Payable Clerk, you need at least a high school diploma. Many of your peers have associate degrees in accounting, business or other related fields. Many employers require some undergraduate education in accounting or successful completion of a diploma program from an accredited vocational institution, with an emphasis on administration, accounting, and office system technology. Take advantage of courses or training opportunities whenever you can. It may be necessary for you to be bonded. Being bilingual is a definite advantage.
The more skill and experience you have with technology, word processing systems and spreadsheet software, the better your changes of employment. Most employers provide on-the-job training in their accounting processes and procedures.
Randstad’s clients are looking for Accounts Payable Clerks with your skills. Contact us to find a position that fits!
Need help building your team? Click here to find out how we can help with your recruitment strategy.