what is a seo specialist?
As a search engine optimisation specialist, you analyze a client's website to determine areas for improvement. You analyze the search engine optimization and implement the necessary changes to improve the website's rankings. As an SEO specialist, you work in-house as a company employee or for a consulting firm that offers SEO services to clients.
SEO specialists are experts in writing search-engine optimized copies and have extensive knowledge in keyword research. If a company relies on the website to make sales, an SEO specialist improves web traffic to increase sales and revenue.
what does a seo specialist do?
If a company's website is not attracting targeted visitors and converting leads to customers, as an SEO specialist, you find ways to improve the outcomes of the website. You should find solutions to improve conversions and increase sales. When reviewing a website, it is important to understand its goals and compare them with performances. You should also understand your target audience before finding strategies to improve search engine rankings. Some strategies include adding content with specific keywords, rewriting HTML title tags and obtaining high-quality inbound links. You also test the website layout and optimize speed to increase conversion.
Would working in marketing as an SEO specialist suit your technical skills and exceptional marketing abilities? Then read on to find out what competencies and qualifications you need to thrive in an SEO specialist role.view roles
average seo specialist salary
The salary for an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) specialist in Canada can vary widely based on factors such as experience, location, company size, and industry. On average, an entry-level SEO specialist might earn around $40,000 to $50,000 CAD per year. With a few years of experience, mid-level specialists could earn between $50,000 and $70,000 CAD annually. Senior SEO specialists with extensive experience and a proven track record might earn upwards of $70,000 to $100,000+ CAD per year.
what factors affect the salary of an seo specialist?
The salary of an SEO specialist depends on work experience and company size. The compensation package usually increases gradually with your experience and qualifications. The employer usually considers the years you have worked when determining the salary structure. On the lower scale are those new in the field due to their minimal experience. However, the compensation package increases significantly over time as you accumulate experience. The employers you work for also determine the compensation package. When you work for a small start-up, your earnings may be slightly lower due to the limited resources in the company. Large companies have better compensation packages due to the unlimited resources and complexity of the roles. You also take on complex duties in large organisations, increasing your compensation package.
types of seo specialists
Some of the types of SEO specialists include:
- on-page seo specialist: as an on-page SEO specialist, you conduct search engine optimisation on the site or page. You optimise the on-site ranking factors to improve visibility and drive traffic to the website. You work on the meta descriptions, keywords, images and meta titles. Some of the activities for successful on-page SEO are keyword research, building internal links and writing quality content.
- off-page seo specialist: as an off-page SEO specialist, you focus on all SEO activities outside the website to improve rankings. For instance, you write guest blogs to generate backlinks to your website. You also use search engine marketing tools like internet ads to improve traffic.
- technical seo specialist: as a technical SEO specialist, you improve the technical aspects of a website to boost the user experience. Technical SEO activities make it easier for visitors to navigate the website. For instance, you improve the site load time and mobile compatibility.
working as an seo specialist
An SEO specialist is an expert in improving rankings and website traffic. That is why they are an integral part of digital and content marketing. A successful SEO specialist improves sales and revenue by driving traffic to the website. Here are some of the duties and career prospects of SEO specialists:
education and skills
To become an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) specialist in Canada, there isn't a specific formal education requirement. However, having a relevant educational background and acquiring certain skills can greatly enhance your chances of succeeding in this field. Here are the steps and considerations you might want to keep in mind:
- Education: While a formal degree is not mandatory, a bachelor's degree in fields such as Marketing, Communications, Computer Science, Business, or a related area can provide a strong foundation for an SEO career. Some positions might require a more technical background, so degrees in Computer Science or Information Technology could be beneficial.
- Digital Marketing Courses: Enrolling in digital marketing courses, which often include modules on SEO, can provide you with valuable insights and practical skills. Many universities, colleges, and online platforms offer courses in digital marketing, SEO, and related topics.
- SEO Training and Certifications: Consider obtaining certifications from reputable sources such as Google, Moz, HubSpot, and SEMrush. These certifications can showcase your expertise and commitment to the field. Google's "Google Analytics Individual Qualification" and "Google Ads Certification" are particularly useful.
- Hands-on Experience: Practical experience is crucial in SEO. Consider taking on internships, freelance projects, or working on personal projects to build your portfolio. Demonstrable results and case studies can greatly enhance your credibility.
- Stay Updated: The field of SEO is ever-changing due to search engine algorithm updates. Stay current with industry trends, algorithm changes, and best practices by following SEO blogs, attending webinars, and participating in online communities.
Remember that SEO is a dynamic field, and success often comes from a combination of education, hands-on experience, and staying up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques. Building a strong online presence and showcasing your skills through a portfolio can also set you apart in this competitive industry.
skills and competencies
Some of the qualities of an SEO specialist include:
- critical thinking skills: as an SEO specialist, you require critical thinking and analytical skills to review the website's performance. Your analytical skills help you identify problems in a website and find the best solutions.
- writing and communication skills: as an SEO specialist, you require writing and editing skills. Writing skills help you write high-quality content. Communication skills also help you distill complex ideas into simple languages that customers can easily understand.
- technical skills: as an SEO specialist, you require technical skills to handle complex optimisation tasks. For instance, knowledge of programming language helps you optimize HTML and improve the technical features of your website.
- adaptability: as an SEO specialist, you should be adaptable to changes since search engine algorithms change constantly. It is important to enhance your SEO skills constantly.
- inquisitive mind: search engine optimisation requires regular website review to identify problems that could slow down its performance. Having an inquisitive mind helps you discover the best solutions.
FAQs about working as an seo specialist
meet a recruiter
Make sure your resume is up-to-date, including information about your technical skills and certifications. Then share it with us to connect with a recruiter and be matched with job opportunities.