what is a web developer?
As a web developer, you use coding languages to build web applications and websites. Sometimes, a design team creates the website design, and you write the code that turns it into a functional website. Other times, you liaise with a client, discuss their needs or style for the website, and design it.
You also write the programming code that controls the functionality of a website. That means you ensure users can navigate the site easily and perform various functions. For instance, you build web pages like a paywall for recording payment details or a command to provide a newsletter or email.
In addition to developing a user interface and layout, a web developer keeps the site up-to-date with content and fresh updates to improve its functionality. For instance, you regularly update the security protocols and ensure the site performs all the necessary functions.
Would working as a web developer suit your artistic skills and creativity? Then read on to find out what competencies and qualifications you need to thrive in a web developer role.web developer roles
average web developer salary
According to Job Bank, web developers in Canada earn an average salary of $69,965 per year, which translates to an average hourly rate of $35.88 per hour. When you are in an entry-level position, your salary is lower than $54,613 annually. However, as your experience improves, your earnings increase, and you can take home over $104,693 yearly.
what factors affect the salaries of web developers?
Various factors determine your earning potential as a web developer. For instance, your experience and qualifications are crucial in salary determination. While some employers aren't keen on qualifications, adding certifications or a bachelor's degree improves your salary prospects. You can also negotiate a higher salary with a few years of experience and an extensive portfolio.
The location also influences your earnings. In Canada, various regions have diverse earnings for web developers. For instance, when you work in Ontario, your average hourly rate is $32, which increases to over $54.81 due to the region's high demand for web developers. Working in British Columbia also improves your earning potential since the highest-paid web developers in the region earn over $56.41 per hour.
types of web developers
Some of the areas of specialization for web developers include:
- front-end developer: your job is to develop the site's layout and the technical features to improve its look. You integrate applications, graphics and content to improve user experience.
- back-end developer: you are responsible for the technical aspects of a site, from basic framework to managing databases. You also establish procedures that allow users to access various functions on the site.
- full-stack developer: your job is to accomplish both back-end and front-end functions. You complete the design and write code to guide the functions of a site based on the client's needs.
- webmasters: you are responsible for updating and maintaining websites. You ensure a site works correctly by testing for errors and broken links.
working as a web developer
Working as a web developer will be fulfilling if you enjoy programming and have the creativity to develop visually appealing sites. Let's check out the daily activities in the role.
what does a web developer do?
Web developers typically perform the following duties:
- meeting with clients: as a web developer, you meet with clients to consult on the website requirements. After the meetings, you prepare mock-ups and storyboards before listing the website requirements and functions to include in the design.
- constructing the user interface and web layout: as a web developer, you build the structure of a website and create a visually appealing design. You are also responsible for improving the user experience by creating a user-friendly design. Sometimes, you write content and modify the theme to enhance the aesthetics.
- testing website functionality: during the development process, it is vital to test the code for bugs and modify it to improve its functionality. Testing the code before deploying also makes it easier to fix underlying issues.
- enforcing ongoing security: you are responsible for installing and maintaining the security features of a website. You liaise with security experts to ensure the site receives the best security. You are also responsible for backing up the website to prevent data loss in case of online attacks.
work environment of a web developer
As a web developer, your work is office-based or from home since you spend the day designing and coding websites. Most companies provide interactive workspaces for web developers to enhance their creativity. Hence, your work environment has functional spaces for brainstorming and collaborating with other designers and developers. Sometimes, you meet clients at their work premises to discuss the website requirements. Most web developers who work remotely have furnished home offices with advanced technology and equipment to assist them in coding.
who are your colleagues?
Web developers work on different projects. Depending on the complexity of the tasks, you collaborate with software developers, software engineers and project managers. You also work with full-stack developers, front-end developers and programmers. Sometimes, you collaborate with app developers, mobile developers and game developers.
web developer work schedule
You can work full-time, part-time, and short-term contracts as a web developer. In full-time roles, you work around 40 hours a week. While completing most of your work during regular office hours is possible, tight deadlines and complex projects sometimes require overtime. Occasional evenings or weekends are common, and some maintenance roles require working at night. If you are on a part-time schedule, your work takes roughly 30 hours a week. Web developers with short-term contracts have more flexible work schedules.
career opportunities as a web developer
When you are a junior web developer, you are tasked with small development projects while working your way up the ladder. Senior web developers lead complex projects and a team of developers. After acquiring skills and experience, you can become the technical director, the first step into management roles.
Alternatively, specialize in various areas of web development. For instance, concentrate on becoming a front-end developer, back-end developer or webmaster and hone your skills in the specialisms. Web developers can also become freelancers or open a private practice to offer web development services.
advantages of finding a job as a web developer through randstad
Working with Randstad offers you a range of benefits.
- always a contact person you can fall back on and ask for help from
- many training opportunities
- a range of jobs in your area
web developer skills and education
Some of the requirements for becoming a web developer in Canada include:
- bachelor’s degree: complete a bachelor's degree in web development after your high school diploma. Alternatively, pursue an IT course with a web development specialization option. The coursework improves your programming and web design skills.
- work experience: you require work experience to work in senior web developer positions. Gain experience through internships and entry-level jobs as you build your portfolio.
- short courses: you don't require a degree to become a web developer; you can complete your high school diploma and take up programming and web development courses. Short courses are also ideal for people with a degree in a non-related field since it introduces you to web development concepts.
competencies and characteristics of web developers
The skills you need for the web developer role include the following:
- communication skills: as a web developer, you communicate with multiple stakeholders before designing a website. You should be a good listener and explain the requirements to clients without technical jargon. Sometimes, you make presentations to the design team, and communication skills are useful.
- continuous learning: it is important to learn new techniques daily and study upcoming technologies to succeed as a web developer. This requires natural curiosity and passion for web design. Continuous learning helps you stay on top of the latest designs and scripts.
- perfectionism: as a web developer, it is crucial to double-check your code for bugs and regularly fix any problems. Perfectionists always find something to improve on a website.
- organization and time management skills: if you handle multiple projects, you need organizational skills to stay on top of the tasks and workflows. Organizational skills help you develop a work schedule and meet deadlines.
- programming skills: working as a web developer requires high-level programming ability. Your programming skills help you implement sophisticated functionalities on a website. Improve your programming skills by attending boot camps and short coding courses.
Here, you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the profession of a web developer.
what is the job of a web developer?
As a web developer, you use your programming skills to create websites. You meet with clients to discuss the features of the website and the requirements before developing the site. You also analyze an existing website and help your client with modifications. Your primary role is ensuring a website is user-friendly and appeals to your client's customers.
are web developers in demand in Canada?
With increasing technology adoption, web developers are in demand to help businesses establish an online presence. A web developer's skills are also applicable to multiple web development jobs. Hence, there is potential for career growth in various sectors.
is being a web developer a good career?
Working as a web developer in Canada is a promising career. You have plenty of opportunities for specialization, like becoming a front-end or back-end developer. Web developers receive a favourable salary, with the potential of earning more depending on the project's complexity.
how much do web developers make?
The salary of a web developer in Canada is approximately $69,965 per year. While entry-level positions attract a lower salary, your earning potential increases with experience. The highest-paid web developers take home over $104,693 per year. Your location often influences your earnings due to the difference in demand.
what are the key skills of a web developer?
As a web developer, you need exceptional programming skills to excel in your role. You also require soft skills, like interpersonal and communication skills. Your creativity is handy in developing visually-appealing sites.
how do I find a job as a web developer?
Finding a job near you as a web developer is easy. Search our job offers. Have you found what you're looking for? Then submit your application using the ‘Apply’ button top right on the page. No jobs available right now? Send us your resume and we'll pass it on to a recruiter who will contact you if an opportunity opens up for you.