Olga shares her story about balancing a job with pursuing an acting career. She knew that a full-time 9-to-5 job wasn't for her. She needed a flexible schedule to pursue acting opportunities. Temp work was the perfect solution. She could pick up a few days or weeks of work to pay the bills, but still remain open to acting opportunities. Watch her full story below.
is temp work the right fit for you?
As Olga discovered, temp work can provide incredible flexibility. If you're not sure if you want to dedicate yourself to a career, testing it out through temp work can allow you a source of income while you explore other avenues and opportunities. Here are some ways that temp work can be a boost to your career.
- Enjoy your independence. Temp work allows you more freedom and flexibility than a traditional full-time job. You choose when and how long to accept assignments for. Maybe you prefer picking up daily assignments to keep your options open, or maybe you'd rather sign a contract for a couple of months and lock in a steady paycheque. It's up to you.
- Test out a career. Are you still not sure what you want to do when you grow up? Temp work is your chance to try on different jobs and see what's a good fit for your personality and work habits. From hands-on work in a warehouse, to administrative work behind a desk, there's no shortage of careers to try out. You can get a sense of what type of work fits with your lifestyle.
- Develop new skills. Whether you're new to Canada, a student, or re-entering the workforce after an absence, temp work is a great way to build up some experience on your resume. Employers often look for recent or local experience. Temp work is an easier way to get your foot in the door, especially in a career where you have limited experience.
- Experience a variety of work tasks. Are you the type of person who gets restless doing the same tasks day in and day out? Temp work allows you to explore different workplaces frequently, so you're always learning something new. You can take jobs with monthly, weekly or even daily contracts depending on your preferences.
related articles to read
- why canadians choose temporary work
- why employers hire temporary workers
- 7 ways a temporary job benefits your resume
want more tips about temp work and making a flexible schedule work for you?
working with randstad to find a temp job
There's a lot of misinformation about temporary work. It's often painted as less desirable than full-time permanent work. The truth is there are many reasons people choose temp work. Maybe you want to add fresh experience to your resume. Maybe you want to get your foot in the door of a new industry. Maybe you're looking for more flexible work to spend more time with your kids. Whatever the case, we can help you find opportunities that fit with your needs and lifestyle. When you're happy with your job, so are we!
- Working with a recruiter is 100% free when you're looking for work. There are no hidden fees or expenses.
- Hone your resume and interviewing skills. As HR experts, we know what employers look for and how to frame your experience in the best light.
- Receive help negotiating your salary, ensuring you're fairly compensated for the skills and experience you have to offer.
- The jobs we recommend are based on your preferences. We're more than a temp agency. While we help hundreds of workers find temp jobs each week, we can also work with you to find a full-time, permanent job if that's what you're interested in.
- As the largest staffing and recruitment agency in Canada, we're connected with hiring managers at hundreds of the top employers in the country. We pass these connections on to you, helping you get your foot in the door with awesome employers.
- Did you know as many as 70% of job opportunities are never posted online? We can help you tap into these invisible opportunities.
- Join our health and dental benefits program, Randstad Advantage, which is run through Sun Life. Every temp worker who's on contract with Randstad is entitled to participate.