what is a front-end developer?
As a front-end developer, you build the client side of a website or software application. However, unlike other developers, you take an artistic and pragmatic approach instead of focusing on the technical aspects. That means your code determines how the web design is implemented on the internet. Website pages often combine structure, design, content, data and functionality. A front-end developer creates a user-friendly page where users can navigate the functions. Your job is to transform the web layout to help users access the functions they need by packaging the technical side in the back end.
Front-end developers work on various projects centred on the website's appearance and user experience for end-users. For instance, you turn websites into intuitive and visually appealing sites. You also create purpose-built landing pages for running contests and niche marketing or advertising campaigns. You use code editing and graphic design tools to create website prototypes.
Would working as a front-end developer suit your coding skills and artistic ability? Then read on to find out what competencies and qualifications you need to thrive in a front-end developer role.front-end developer jobs
average front-end developer salary
According to Job Bank, the average salary of a front-end developer in Canada is $102,716 per year. At the start of your career, you start with a salary of $97,500 annually due to your minimal experience and qualifications. The most experienced front-end developers take home over $116,400 yearly.
how to increase your salary as a front-end developer
As a front-end developer, your earnings depend on your experience and the complexity of your duties. When you are new in the role, you have minimal experience and are likely to perform simple tasks or offer support to senior developers. As you gain experience, your earnings increase due to your competencies.
The size of the project you handle also influences your earnings. When you work in a small company, you handle small projects and earn less due to limited resources. In a large company, you handle complex tasks and projects with unlimited resources, increasing your earning potential.
The location may also influence your earnings. For instance, provinces like Ontario, Nova Scotia and Quebec have average salaries of over $102,000 per year. This is because of the high demand for front-end developers in these regions.
types of front-end developers
Some of the types of front-end developers include:
- user interface and user experience designers: as a front-end developer, you can focus on user experience (UX) and user interface (UI). In UI, you improve the visual aspects of a website design, while UX involves user testing to ensure a seamless experience.
- web designer: as a front-end web designer, your focus is on improving web design, which requires minimal coding. You ensure elements like alignment and balance are considered when developing the web layout.
- WordPress developer: a front-end developer specializing in WordPress can help clients create unique websites by incorporating various themes from the blogging platform.
- mobile developer: your job is to create functional applications with attractive designs. You also ensure the mobile apps work seamlessly to improve the user experience.
working as a front-end developer
If you are interested in front-end development, check out the duties and tasks you are likely to undertake as a front-end developer.
front-end developer skills and education
To become a front-end developer, you need the following educational requirements:
- education: to work as a front-end developer, you need a degree in computer science. You can also pursue degree courses in web development, software engineering or computer engineering. Completing a college program in computer science or a related field prepares you for the role.
- work experience: you require experience to develop your skills as a front-end developer. Gain experience through boot camps and complete programming courses to help you build your knowledge and skills.
competencies and characteristics of front-end developers
Apart from front-end development skills, you require these soft skills to excel in your role:
- curiosity: the website development landscape is constantly evolving, so it is important to continue learning and stay on track with emerging front-end components and tools. With curiosity, you will be inspired to research web development trends and implement them in your work.
- empathy: since you develop a brand's visual image, the goal isn't to decorate it with various graphics or colours. You should be mindful of how others perceive the colours and the graphics. Empathy allows you to put yourself in the user's shoes.
- problem-solving skills: the work of a front-end developer comes with various challenges, and you need problem-solving skills to help you break down the issues and find a solution.
- collaboration and team skills: you work alongside a team of developers and collaborate with back-end developers to ensure the website works properly. Team skills help you maintain positive relationships.
Here, you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the profession of a front-end developer.
meet a recruiter
Make sure your resume is up-to-date, including information about your technical skills and certifications. Then share it with us to connect with a recruiter and be matched with job opportunities.